These days, there is a lot of turbulence on the issue of foreign nationals taking away work from local residents of Singapore. In such times, it is always a good idea to keep your documents complete and ready. We will now talk about two documents that are required if you plan to work in Singapore.
Who needs it?
It is required for mid-level skilled workers (e.g. electrician) of foreign nationality, with a monthly salary of at least 2200 SGD (in effect from July 1, 2013).
The candidates are assessed based on a points system that considers different aspects. Some of them are:
• Minimum monthly salary of $ 2200
• Degrees, diplomas and technical training certificates that can act as proof that the person is a trained specialist in the specific field. The course should be of at least a year long duration.
• Relevant work experience
For older candidates, the level of salary commanded has to be higher, along with the skill and the level of skill that they bring with them.
• The application can be filed online at the Ministry of Manpower’s website or manually at their office.
• The processing time of online submissions is 7 days while for manual submissions is 5 weeks.
• The cost of application is $60.
• The validity period is generally 1-2 years and can be renewed.
• The renewal cost is $80.
For S Pass applications, an Employer Declaration Form is to be completed and attached. The application form must also be endorsed with the company’s stamp/seal and signed by both the applicant and an authorized officer from the sponsoring company, and the employer (if different from the sponsor).
It is for foreigners from an approved country who want to work in Singapore. An application must be sent by the prospective employer to the Controller of Work Passes.
• The minimum age for non-domestic foreign workers is 18 years. For Malaysians, the maximum age to obtain a work permit is 58 years while for non-Malaysians, its 50 years.
• The online form is submitted the next working day whereas in case of manual submission, it takes 7 working days.
• The validity period is generally 1-2 years with respect to the worker’s passport validity, employment period and banker’s guarantee.
• The application fee for worker permit is S$30 and the renewal fee is the same.
Hope this brief read comes in handy the next time you need to file a work pass application in Singapore. To know more about employment pass and work pass visit here!